We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Mustard, what is it. How mustard is prepared and what are its origins. How to eat mustard and useful tips.
Mustard, what is it
What is mustard
Theremustardis a product based onfruit, sugarand mustard essence. Theremustardit comes in the form of whole fruit or pieces. The liquid ofgovernmentit has a transparent straw color, so the fruit can be distinguished inside.
What does mustard taste like
Theremustardhas aflavorvery delicate that fades into strong and spicy. The strong and spicy touch is given by the mustard essence. Not onlyflavor, themustardit has a pungent scent.
How to eat mustard
Mustard is excellent to combine with savory dishes. It is generally served to accompany boiled or boiled meats, but also with cheeses.
Theremustardit was considered, for a long time, a winter food, served during the Christmas period. Today, since themustardit is widely consumed in combination with cheeses, and is served all year round. A good appetizer consists of cheeses expertly accompanied bymustard.
Mustard is perfect to accompany an excellent boiled meat.
What is the city famous for mustard
In traditiongastronomicItalian there are dozens of types ofmustard also very different from each other. Despite the great variety, it is important to say that themustardsmost famous are, by far, that of Cremona and that of Mantua, both recognized asTraditional agri-food productsfrom the Lombardy Region.
Mustard, how it's done
Who seeks therecipeof mustard can only find a starting point to customize according to your taste.
The quantity of sugar, in fact, is at the discretion of the producer: sugar not only discriminates the flavor of themustardmaking it more or less sweet; based on the amount of sugar added, you will have a more or less thick syrup.
During the process of candying and preparation of the mustard thefruitit must never lose its original color. Below we propose the recipe ofmustard from Mantua.
How to make Mantua mustard
For the traditional recipe of Mantua mustard you will need these ingredients:
- 1 kg of apples
The original recipe of the mustard from Mantua provides for the use of quince apples.
- 500 grams of sugar
As stated, the quantity is at the discretion of the manufacturer.
- 1 lemon
Along with lemon, there are those who recommend adding a little apple cider vinegar.
- 7 drops of mustard essence
Be careful to dose it well otherwise it will make the product too spicy.
In the recipe we have indicated apples but .. you can also use half a kilogram of apples and half a kilogram of pears. In mustard you can add other fruits such as cherries, figs and grapes. Another useful tip for make mustard at home: choose fruit with different degrees of ripeness, from more unripe apples to some more ripe apples. Ditto for pears and other fruit. Overripe fruit and therefore with a soft consistency should not be used, otherwise with heat it will reduce to mush.
How mustard is made
- Peel the apples, slice them and sprinkle them with sugar.
- Add the lemon juice and stir. Wait 24 hours.
- Sift the apples by transferring the juice to a saucepan. Recover any undissolved sugar.
- Place the liquid in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until boiling. Boil for 4 minutes.
- Pour the syrup, still boiling, over the apples. Wait an additional 24 hours.
- Repeat the procedure described from point 3 to point 5, then transfer the liquid to a saucepan, boil it, wet the fruit… Wait another 24 hours.
- Set the liquid aside and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes until a thicker consistency is obtained. For a thicker syrup, increase the amount of sugar, for a more liquid syrup, decrease the amount of sugar used. Turn off and let it cool down well.
- When the syrup is cold, add 10 drops of mustard essence for food use.
Before consuming, it is recommended to wait a couple of days.